The mission of the Great Reno Balloon Race is to provide a premier, safe, family-oriented/tourist-attractive, visually dramatic event that celebrates the joy of flight while remaining free to the public.
Balloon Races: This year marks the 35th anniversary of The Great Balloon Races. Reno is fortunate enough to be able to witness our skies full with beautiful air balloons all unique and colorful. Attending the balloon races means waking up earlier than usual but it is worth the view!
When: September 9, 2016 -September 11, 2016 from 5:00 – 10:00
Location: Rancho San Rafael Regional Park 1595 N. Sierra Street (just 1.5 miles north of downtown Reno)
- Glow Show and Dawn Patrol: An amazing pre-dawn spectacle as balloons twinkle against the dark sky.
- Mass Ascension: It’s an incredible site when nearly 90 colorful balloons fill the sky. A Kodak moment!
- Special-Shaped balloons: A spectator favorite, some of the whimsical special shapes will make their first appearance at the 2016 festival. A complete photo list of all the colorful balloons can be found here.
- SUPER-Glow Show: On Friday morning, the glow show goes BIG as 25-30 glowing balloons are choreographed to music.
- Balloon Boulevard: Features a variety of food, crafts, art and souvenirs
- Cloud 9 VIP Tent: A comfortable and convenient way to enjoy the show. The Cloud 9 VIP Club offers individuals and businesses the opportunity to have a front-row seat to all the excitement that goes on during the event. Daily memberships are available for purchase now and include catered breakfast, parking, merchandise credit, champagne and other goodies.
National Championship Air Races: The 53rd annual event is the only closed course pylon racing event in the world, and is the world’s longest running air race. Six different classes of race planes battle just 50 feet from the ground, with the Unlimited and Jet classes reaching speeds over 500 mph. There’s a world-class air show, military display and demonstrations, aircraft and drone displays and great concessions. Experience the action of the “World’s Fastest Motorsport!”
Brief history of the air races: The National Championship Air Races is the last event of its kind, carrying on the tradition of the Cleveland Air Races of the 1920s, 30s and 40s. In 1964, Bill Stead organized an air race near Reno, Nevada, and the Reno National Championship Air Races were born. The event that Bill Stead started in the Nevada desert more than 47 years ago is still going strong. The event has only been interrupted once in September of 2001 when all aircraft in the United States were grounded following the terrorists attacks in New York and Washington.
When: The National Championship Air Races will run from September 14 – 18, 2016.
What day is best to attend? Every day is an exciting day at the races. With so much to see and do, why not make plans to attend more than one day or better yet all week for the ultimate air racing experience? The most highly-attended day is Sunday, the day of the final races, including the Unlimited Gold Race that occurs around 4 PM. However, photographers wishing to get the best crowd-free shots of their favorite planes, or others wishing to experience the Races in a less congested environment are better served attending early in the week when the crowds are smaller.
Street Vibrations: A Motorcycle Festival that is a celebration of music, metal and motorcycles. Street Vibrations offers tours, live entertainment, ride-in shows, stunt shows and more to more than 50,000 biking enthusiasts. This event is so big, it rocks at several locations throughout the region. Major event venues are planned at Reno, historic Virginia City and Chester’s Reno Harley-Davidson Dealership. Rides to what Mark Twain called “the fairest picture the whole Earth affords”, Lake Tahoe provide unparalleled natural beauty.
Event Schedule and Entertainment
There’s so many fun activities and entertainment options, that it’s impossible to list them all!
Some highlights and new additions to the 2016 line-up:
- Erik Estrada of CHiPS fame, will be the Grand Marshall in the Parade
- 250 vendors and 15+ factory rigs
- A Hot Rod and Motorcycle Auction
- Daily Ford Super Duty Truck Demos
- Mondo Porras’ Denver’s Choppers Old School Bike Show
- Monte Perlin’s Glob-o-Dath
- International Bikini Team
- America’s Finest Custom Bike Builder’s Expo
- Tattoo Expo for body art extraordinaire
- Zepparella (the all female Zeppelin Powerhouse)
When & Where? September 21, 2016 -September 25, 2016 @ Downtown Reno
Lantern Fest: The Lantern Fest is an opportunity for thousands of revelers to join together as a community and create an unforgettable spectacle of light. After an afternoon of live music, dancing, and s’mores, when the sun sets and the time is just right, we light the sky with lanterns representing our highest hopes, deepest regrets, and fondest dreams.
When & Where: Saturday 24th, 2016 @ Fernley 95 Speedway, 1965 S Hwy 95a, Fernley, Nevada, 89408Saturday, September 24th 2016
Lantern Fest Pricing:
Early Bird Registration: $25.00 (until Aug 12)
Regular Registration: $30.00 (until Aug 26)
Late Registration: $35.00 (until Sep 9)
Last Call: $45.00 (until Sep 23)
Day of Event: $50.00
Things to Bring With You: Feel free to bring cold food (chips, sandwiches, etc) and water. Hard sided coolers, glass bottles, or alcohol is not allowed and will be confiscated. No tailgating.
- A blanket or chairs for sitting
- A jacket in case you get chilly
- A smile, because you’re never fully dressed without it
- Some money or a credit card to buy a snack or drink
- Your dancing shoes!
For more information about these events please visit the Reno event website!